Established in 1993, St. Felix Centre is a multi-service community centre located in Downtown Toronto that serves a wide range of clients including children, youth, adults, seniors, recent immigrants and individuals and families who are experiencing poverty, trauma, violence, abuse, malnutrition, mental illness, addiction and homelessness.
St Felix Centre was started by Felician Sisters, a congregation of Catholic religious women. They began this tradition of giving and support in the late 1930’s at their convent located at 25 Augusta Ave. Shortly after, a daycare was built for children of new immigrants behind this convent and operated until 1990.Throughout the years, the sisters provided food and other assistance to people in need who came to their convent seeking help.
While the Felician Sisters have now moved out of the heritage house at 25 Augusta Avenue, St. Felix Centre continues the long tradition of compassionate community service which the Sisters began nearly 80 years ago. The former convent has now been converted into a transitional home for women; a home that provides up to 14 women with a safe space for healing, learning and personal growth; where a sense of community is fostered and where residents of the house are able to receive individual support from St. Felix Centre staff while working towards living independently.
The former daycare centre was renovated to become a Multi-Service Community Centre in 1999, and in 2003 St. Felix Centre became a registered charity.